Neponset Valley Sunrise Rotary Club Duck Races in Dedham – Sounds just Ducky!
Posted by Karly, Ziptivity’s South Shore Community Ambassador
It was several years ago – hmm, maybe it was just last year (I can’t remember much these days let alone when things occurred!) – when the girls and I went to the Bullfinch’s 7th annual Duck Races for the UMass Memorial Foundation Inc (which was created for a 3-yr old who was diagnosed with cancer in 1996 to help fund non-medical services). It was awesome and for a good cause, no less. You adopt a duck for $5 and then watch it float down a river, off the edge of an old mill-type structure and down to the finish line. We cheered our ducks on hoping to see them win. Little did we know we’d actually win money if they came in 1st place. That was just the icing on the cake… for us, it was just a nice way to spend the day together and raise money for this foundation.
But there was something missing… Daddy! The last time we went to the race it was a weekday and he was working. Luckily, with today’s technology, we sent Daddy lots of pictures of what we were up to and his response? “I miss my girls!”
So thanks to Ziptivity, this year we are going to the Neponset Valley Sunrise Rotary Club Duck Races in Dedham. It’s this Saturday and it helps fund the various local programs like School on Wheels, Meals on Wheels, and the Challenger Program (which organizes sports programs for handicapped children). This Rotary Club services all the towns I cover as a Ziptivity Community Ambassador and it’s fitting that we join in on the fun and help raise money for these programs.
This year we will be cheering on our ducks (you can get 5 for $20, that’s an extra duck) and enjoying all the activities surrounding this event. Usually they have sweet treats, bounce houses, and pony rides! I’m not sure just yet if you can get a duck the day of the race, but you can definitely purchase them online. Oh, and did I mention, the 1st place prize is $1,000, 2nd place is $500, 3rd $250, and 4th $100?! First place (any place really) would help our family, seeing as though my husband’s car just died. That would be right after we had the roofer over for an estimate – cha-ching! Either way, win or lose, we will spend the day as a family, raising money for charitable programs, and enjoying each others’ company!
From ZipNews this week, here are my “Top 5 ZipPicks” for this weekend: (Subscribe to ZipNews here!)
- Friday am: Free mommy and me play/support group at Kidz Wurld in North Attleboro, 10am-12pm.
- Friday pm: YMCA Old Colony Stoughton: Summer kick off block party, 6pm-8pm.
- Saturday: Cars 2 Movie Event at 3 Borders locations: Dedham, Mansfield, North Attleboro, 2pm.
- Saturday: Shaws Easton – Father’s Day Snack Cake Decorating, 10am-3pm.
- Sunday: 17th Annual Father’s Day Road Race at the Children’s Museum in Easton, 9am. And a bunch of other Father’s Day activities listed on last week’s blog!
Save the dates…..these events sound AWESOME!!
- Magic Beans Baby Registry Night in Hingham, special guests from Mamas Move, 6:30pm-9pm. Please call the store for more ticket information. 781-749-2321. $10 per couple and receive a $20 Magic Beans gift card at the event.
- 2011 Family Fun Fest in Milton
- The Natural Child Collaborative: Info Table at Healthy Living Expo- Hanover, 10am-4pm.
Check out the site for more upcoming events in and around the South Shore!