It doesn’t get more Americana than Carlisle’s Old Home Day
So many great things going on for the 4th of July here in the Greater Boston area, but I am going to brag about my (and Cary’s) little ol’ New England town, Carlisle, MA.
Every year, the Saturday before the 4th, Carlisle celebrates “Old Home Day”, probably my kids most favorite day of the year, next to Christmas of course. The day starts with a 5-mile and a 1-mile road race, followed by a pancake breakfast and parade. The parade has floats, bands, decorated bikes, mini cars and even animals (yes, Carlisle does have a few native llamas). What’s so great about this parade is that all kids can join in. Simply show up on a bike, trike, big wheel, or stroller and you’re part of the fun!
Tip: stand by Ferns Country Store where you can get some shade and enjoy a latte and muffin to keep you fueled for the day.
Next we head to Gleason Library for the annual book sale, sure to find some good summer reading. Then it’s the country fair, complete with local vendors, a farmers market and a BBQ lunch sponsored by the Carlisle Boy Scouts.
Up next? You guessed it: games, potato sack races, egg toss, frog jumping contest, children’s pet show and corn shucking. It doesn’t get any more Americana than that! But wait, there’s more… Old Home Day would not be complete with out the famous soap box derby, softball game and ice cream social. I am tired already just thinking about it and there is still more!
The BBQ chicken dinner at the fire station and the cake walk with live music round out the day. This event is open for all, Carlisleans or not. So if you are in the area, stop by and check out what I am talking about. Your next stop might be the realtor’s office in town center!
I would live to hear what you do in your town for the 4th. Enjoy the weekend and Happy Birthday to our nation!
From ZipNews this week, here are my “Top 5 MetroWest ZipPicks” for this weekend: (Subscribe to ZipNews here!)
- Acton Independence Day Celebration at Nara Park, Saturday, 3 pm- 9:30 pm. Food, Family Fun and Fireworks.
- Gleason Public Library: Annual Used Book Sale, Carlisle, Saturday, 10:30 am- 4pm.
- DAN FOLEY – The Airborne Comedian, Springs Brook Park, Bedford, Saturday at 3 pm.
- Lexington Lions Club: 4th of July Carnival
- Thursday & Friday 6 pm-11 pm
- Saturday noon – 11 pm (Fireworks 9:30 pm)
- Sunday 1 pm – 11pm
- Monday 1 pm – 7 pm
- Emerson Field: Picnic in the Park, Concord, Monday July 4th, 11:30 am- 4:30 pm.
- Town of Lincoln: 4th of July 7:45 pm- 9 pm.
Save the Date
- CATs the Musical, Theatre with a Twist in Acton, Saturday, June 9th.
- Yoga in the Park at DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln, Sunday, July 10th.
- Countdown to Harry Potter Party, Gleason Library, Carlisle on Friday, July 8th at 7 p.m.
Free Summer Weekdays! – all summer Tuesday-Friday at DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln.
For more MetroWest Boston area activities, search here!